Sunday, November 28, 2010

Simple Joys

When I read my favorite blogs, I am in awe of the beautiful photos of creativity. Often, I get antsy to hurry up and get my fixer-upper remodeled into the Mediterranean beauty it's planned to become. The bottom line is I want to fix up the place I live in now. Now it's a cabin. Nearly every time I go into the kitchen with the cement floor, I am itching to paint it. The kitchen walls...well, there is much to be desired there. But most of the walls will be coming down before long when we remodel. I must stay focused on that Mediterranean beauty our building designer is working on.

With the holidays upon us, naturally I'm wanting to decorate for the occasion. Rather than spend time and money on what is to be replaced, I've looked around at the things in the cabin I can use. That doesn't include the boxes in the loft. I began with my new baker's rack. Next I added a few pillows, then three of the pinecone topiaries I've been creating, and three single pinecones. Oh, and I had placed the two architectural pieces on the bottom rack after priming and painting them. I'm not through with them yet, and the bottom rack seemed to be a good place for them for the time being. Those are the among the four pieces I recently picked up for $6 at a yard sale.

The second rack has a photo of my parents. My dad gave me a Mother's Day card in May after Mother passed away in March of 2008. I framed the card and placed their photo in it. Mother loved to read Country Living and other home decorating magazines. I added past issues of November and December Country Living magazines under the picture of my parents. After all, don't we think of family when we think of Christmas?

Rick Warren's "The Purpose of Christmas" topped it off. This little book reminds me to think of the simple joys of life.




 
One of my simple joys of the day was to splurge on a magazine I was drawn to. Can you guess why? Ah, it had to be the words, many words. I love words...
cottages & cabins...
rustic...
headboard (hmm, that headboard I found in the trash pile has become a HUGE project)...
Retro Bungalow...Shack...
 TIMBER FRAME CABIN yes that's me! 

It's a wonderful magazine full of ideas: Country Decorating Ideas Presents #110 Cottages & Cabins 2010.



Simple joys of life may be cooking for our families; reading a book or a magazine; talking with spouse, children, friends; or painting a pinecone for your Christmas decorations.

JOY - delight, happiness, pleasure, gladness, cheerfulness

May you have a joyful week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. Really enjoyed reading your blog posts.

Anonymous said...

Really informative blog post here my friend. I just wanted to comment & say keep up the quality work. I’ve bookmarked your blog just now and I’ll be back to read more in the future my friend! Also well-chosen colors on the theme it goes well with the blog in my modest opinion :).