Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cabin Christmas

Let's begin with a little cabin history. This desert cabin is my fixer upper that is about to be remodeled in a major way. There's a story behind this little cabin. When hubby and I first went to look at it, we couldn't see it from the road. 

It was hiding behind a forest of trees. We learned that the couple who had owned the cabin both died. The man died first, and his wife died not many months later. And they weren't old. A relative had inherited the house and let a business acquaintance live in it. The acquaintance became a squatter. As I walked through the house, the squatter tried his best to discourage me from buying the cabin. Squatter lost. We won. Cabin became ours. It took us nearly a year to clean up the junk, the yard, and the cabin. The squatter had moved furniture from the cabin to the outside. So much junk. Ugh! I did save a few old treasures like two vintage windows, one of which hubby and I closed off a kitchen opening with. 
Another treasure I've spray painted chrome. 

Since I moved from an RV to even a cabin, it's like starting over. My furniture is scattered around Texas in my parents' home and in one of my daughters' home. So, it's like starting over - and it's so much fun! I get tickled when I see the beautiful furniture and homes in blogs and then I see my little abode with a futon that I picked up at a yard sale for $15 and an old desk I dragged from the trash by the road and...oh I could go on, but I'll save it for another blog.


Terracotta Christmas Tree
The cabin has a fireplace, and I am decorating it daily for Christmas. Hubby and I went up to the mountains last month and brought back bunches of huge pine cones. I've been making pine cone topiaries, painting terracotta pots, and making terracotta and pine cone gifts. This morning I made a tiny Christmas tree with branches from outside. I found the little chili pepper ornaments at a craft fair last weekend. The snowman globe and Santa I picked up from an after-Christmas sale last year. 
Our plan is to begin house renovation in January. The cabin foundation and a wall or two are staying. Since next year I should be in the Mediterranean beauty, this is the last Christmas in the little cabin as it is. I'm decorating rustic and cabin style. 


The pine cone in the vintage tub was one of my Christmas craft projects from last year...
and more pine cones below that I dipped in wax ...
 
 


 Whether family is near or far, you can have Christmas joy in your heart. The secret is to give of what you have to others. No matter what situation you find yourself, someone else in the world has it worse. As you bring joy to others, the Christmas spirit will find its way to you.
PEACE...NOEL...JOY...MERRY CHRISTMAS...HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!
I'm joining Sister Saturday at Southern In My Heart

6 comments:

My Cottage Charm said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my Christmas decor...I really appreciate it. :)
How wonderful that you bought a little cabin, can't wait to watch your progress!
Your Christmas decor is so much fun...I love that you're making so much!~
Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!
hugs
Missy

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

Aw, thanks so much, Missy, for your kind and encouraging comment! It means a lot to me! May you have a Christmas filled with much joy.
Angi

Vanessa said...

Hi again! I just love how the spirit of blooming where you are planted is so evident in your blog. You are making the most of your current home while dreaming of the next one and your Christmas decor is just lovely! Thank you so much for linking up to Inspiration Friday!
Vanessa

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Don't you love those big pine cones? You had a great idea to reinvent them!

Cindy said...

I love your fireplace and all of the rustic Christmas decor, it is just so fitting for a cabin. I love your attitude, the Christmas spirit is a joyful, giving spirit, it causes us to get outside of ourselves for a while, and that is definitely a good thing.
Your house is going to be gorgeous! I had a look at your custom plans! Beautiful! I'm so happy for you.
Hugs, cindy

Kelly said...

Thank you so much for visiting and following my blog, and for your sweet comments! I am in turn following you. I love your style!

:

Kelly