Saturday, February 15, 2014

Celebrating Valentine's Day with My Dolls

Did you know that Valentine's Day cards are second on the list of most popular seasonal cards sold every year?

When my daughter, Chrissie, was growing up, I always tried to make sure she had fun on Valentine's Day. Our family was involved in a church ministry that required us to travel twelve months out of the year. No matter where we were, though, Valentine's Day was a priority on my list of days to celebrate with my little daughter. 

During our travels, friends or relatives would occasionally give Chrissie a doll. She has a collection in one of the bedrooms in my parents' home in the country. Such sweet memories.

Now that Chrissie is married and has a daughter of her own, I am continuing the Valentine's Day tradition. Since I couldn't be with them on the sweetheart day, I sent money and told Chrissie to take my granddaughter (who is one year old) shopping and let her pick out whatever she wants - a teddy bear, doll, or toy. They visited a gift shop, and the sweet baby girl pointed in a certain direction. The shopkeeper asked, "Oh, do you like the dolls?" She did. In fact, she liked two of them and wanted them both. She and her mommy chose the one with the pink, perfect for her Valentine's gift from Grandmommy. The doll is bigger than my sweetie granddaughter (yes, I did get a picture to show off!).
Pink Baby Doll for my Sweetie Granddaughter on Valentine's Day
Enjoying Valentine's Day with my dolls, Chrissie, her baby girl, and the new doll in pink, is part of my cottage living. Whether you celebrate with family near or afar, what matters is that you create loving family traditions that will be remembered. 

I'm joining Pink Saturday over at How Sweet the Sound for more pink inspiration.

2 comments:

Kaye Swain said...

Oh what a fun tradition to start with this sweet grandchild! I've enjoyed treating my granddaughters to various dolls over the years, while the grandboys are more along the lines of LEGOs and cars. :) Have a blessed and beautiful week!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Such sweet memories she will have, and so will your Grand daughter!